Chandigarh : Punjab Congress president Captain Amarinder Singh on Sunday launched a nine-point action plan to bring the progress and development of Punjab, which the Badals had brought to the brink of collapse during their 10-year misrule, back on track.
Launched under the banner of `Nawan Naraon Punjab Layee, Captain De Naun Nukte’, the nine-point agenda encompasses the complete range of key problems plaguing the state, including critical issues such as water sharing, drugs menace, employment, industrial and agricultural growth etc.
Announcing the agenda at a media conference here, Captain Amarinder, who was flanked by AICC general secretary in-charge of Punjab affairs, said his party was committed to actioning upon the agenda immediately after coming to power in the state.
Listing down the strategic principles behind the action plan, Captain Amarinder said these were aimed at building an all-new Punjab.
The nine-point agenda comprises:
1. Punjab Da Paani, Punjab Vaaste (Punjab’s water is for its people alone) – to ensure that Punjab’s water is used for the state and not dissipated at any cost
2. Drug supply, distribution and consumption char hafte vich bund (done with drugs in four weeks) – commitment to wipe out the drug menace from the state
3. Ghar ghar rozgar (a job for every household) – time-bound employment scheme to provide job to at least one person in each family in 5 years, with Rs. 2500 unemployment allowance per month to identified employed in the interim
4. Kissana Layee Aarthike te Samajik Suraksha (waiver of agricultural debt of farmers)
5. Trade, business and industry layee kaarobar di azadi & affordable bijlee, paani te safai surakshaa (freedom for trade, business, industry, with affordable electricity, water and sewerage)
6. Women empowerment – 33% reservation for women in jobs, educational institutions and allotment of residential and commercial plots in all categories
7. Free housing for all homeless SCs – free homes or 5-marla plots to be given to eligible homeless SCs with financial assistance of Rs 1 lakh
8. Support to OBCs – reservation for OBCs in jobs to be raised from 12% to 15%, in educational institutions from 5% to 10%
9. Creation of a new department of ex-servicemen to function as Guardians of Governance (GoG) at grassroots – to oversee implementation of government schemes and ensure that funds are properly utilized at village, cluster and block levels
Captain Amarinder reiterated his commitment to bring back the smiles on the faces of the people of Punjab, saying these nine remedies would help alleviate the problems of the suffering people of the state.