JALANDHAR: Congress, which is known for releasing its candidates at the eleventh hours during Punjab assembly polls (as per past experience), this time may release it well before the announcement of election schedule by the Election Commission.
In a marathon meeting of the Screening committee, it is learnt that 64 candidates have already been finalised and many others were expected to be finalised well before the expected announcement of first list on December 8.
If you go through the tentative list of candidates, some of the names seem to be an obvious choice in the absence of any second strong aspirant, but if you look on the names of some of the candidates, it is sure that Congress to go on the lines of AAP, where rebellions have become “Headache” for the rookie party.
Political experts claim, eight of the selected names of total nine constituencies of Jalandhar District including Avtar Henry (Jalandhar North), Mohinder Singh Kaypee (Jalandhar West), Pargat Singh (Jalandhar Cantonment), Jagbir Brar (Nakodar), Satnam Kainth (Adampur) and Vikramjit Singh Choudhary (Kartarpur), Sarwan Singh Phillaur(Phillaur) may bring huge controversy for the party and may invite rebellion in good numbers not only from the aspirants who were not allotted ticket, but even from those, who have been allotted tickets, but from the wrong assembly segments.
Now let us go constituency wise:
Avtar Henry (Jalandhar Noth): Although Henry is the strongest candidate of Congress in the constituency, but as he is still facing a trail of retaining the dual citizenship, there may be legal problem for the Congress. Recently, Henry got his name included in the voter list, but some of the Congress leaders have already started question on the illegality adopted by him to get his name registered as voter.
Mohinder Singh Kaypee (Jalandhar West): Former MP Kaypee last won from the constituency in 2002 but after that lost in 2007 followed by another defeat of his wife Suman Kaypee from the same constituency in 2007 contested election from the constituency in 2012. Now sitting councillor Sushil Rinku and former mayor Surinder Mahey have emerged as strong contenders for the ticket.
Pargat Singh (Jalandhar Cantonment): Former SAD MLA Pargat Singh, is a turncoat and recently joined Congress along with Dr Navjot Kaur Sidhu. During these five years, former SAD MLA Jagbir Brar, who joined Congress in 2012 and defeated by Pargat Singh from the same constituency, has nursed the constituency well to take revenge from Pargat. Giving ticket to Pargat may force Brar to turn rebel and he has already announced in his close circle that he would contest the election as an Independent from Jalandhar cantonment.
Jagbir Brar (Nakodar): Although Congress high command has shifted Brar to Nakodar, but he is adamant not to shift his constituency. Even if he is forced to contest from Nakodar, he may have to face the wrath of other aspirants including Congress heavy weight Amarjit Singh Samra. There is one more reason for Brar to deny contesting from Nakodar, because SAD’s candidate Gurpratap Singh Wadal is close relative of Brar.
Satnam Singh Kainth (Adampur): Kainth was defeated by SAD’s Pawan Kumar Tinu durng 2012 poll and repeating “Holy Cow” Kainth from the same constituency, may strengthen the prospects of Tinu again.
Vikramjit Singh Choudhary (Kartarpur): Vikramjit is son of local MP Santokh Choudhary, who represented Phillaur assembly segment many a times. Vikramjit was also nursing the constituency for quite long. His shifting to Kartarpur not only make him week in the new constituency but also lead to family conflict, as Surinder Choudhary son of Late Choudhary Jagjit Singh was eyeing ticket from his father’s seat. Coincidently, Vikramjit Singh and Surinder Singh are cousin brothers.
Sarwan Singh Phillaur (Phillaur): Phillaur is six times MLA and was unceremoniously removed as Minister by SAD, when he was summoned by Enforcement Directorate in a case related to drug.
However, following is the list of 64 candidates, who were expected to finalised by Congress High Command:
1. Jalandhar North : Avtar Henery
2. Jalandhar west ( reserve) : Mohinder Singh Kaypee
3. Jalandhar central : Rajinder Berry
4. Nakodar : Jagbir Singh Brar
5. Kartarpur ( reserve) : Bikram Chaudhary
6. Adampur ( reserve) : Satnam Kainth
7. Philaur (reserve) : Sarvan Singh Philaur
8. Jalandhar Cantt. : Pargat Singh
9. Hoshiarpur : Sham Sunder Arora
10. Mukerian : Rajneesh Babbi
11. Chabbewal ( reserve ) : Dr. Rajkumar
12. Sulatanpur lodhi : Navtej Cheema
13. Kapurthala : Rana Gurjeet Singh
14. Banga ( reserve ) : Tarlochan Singh Soondh
15. Chamkaur Sahib ( reserve) : Charanjeet Channi
16. Anandpur Sahib : Rana Kaypee
17. Mohali : Balbir Singh Sidhu
18. Dera Bassi : Deepinder Singh Dhillon
19. Amritsar South : Inderbeer Singh Bularia
20. Amritsar West (reserve) : Dr. Rajkumar Verka
21. Amritsar Central : O.P Soni
22. Amritsar East : Dr. Navjot kaur Sidhu
23. Rajasansi : Sukhbir Singh Sarkaria
24. Jandiala Guru : Sukhwinder Denny
25. Baba Bakala : Rajit Singh Chajjalwaddi
26. Majithia : Sukhjinder Raj Singh Lalli Majithia
27. Khemkaran : Gurchet Singh Bhullar
28. Khadur Sahib : Ramanjeet Singh Sikki
29. Patti : Harminder Singh Gill
30. Fatehgarh Churrian : Tript Rajinder Singh Bajwa
31. Dera Baba Nanak : Sukhjinder Singh Randhawa
32. Dina Nagar : Arun Chaudhary
33. Qadian : Fatehjang Singh Bajwa
34. Payal : Lakhbir Singh Lakha
35. Samrala : Amrik Singh Dhillon
36. Ludhiana West : Bharat Bhushan Ashu
37. Ludhiana North : Rakesh Pandey
38. Ludhiana Central : Surinder Dabbur
39. Ferozpur Rural ( resrve ) : Satkar Kaur
40. Guru Har sahai : Rana Gurmeet Singh Sodhi
41. Zira : Inderjeet Singh Zira
42. Ferozpur : Parminder Singh Pinky
43. Jaitu (reserve) : Joginder Singh Panjgrain
44. Patiala : Captain Amrinder Singh
45. Patiala Rural : Braham Mahindra
46. Samana : Harry Mann
47. Shutran (reserve) : Nirmal Singh
48. Ghanaur : Thekedar Madan Lal
49. Nabha ( reserve) : Sadhu Singh Dharamsot
50. Sanaur : Lal Singh
51. Rajpura : Hardyal Kamboj
52. Fatehgarh Sahib : Kuljeet Singh Nagra
53. Dirba (reserve) : Ajaib Singh
54. Lehra : Rajinder Kaur Bhattal
55. Bhadaur (reserve) : Mohammed Siddiqui
56. Barnala : Kewal Singh Dhillon
57. Sardulgarh : Ajit Inder Singh Mofar
58. Rampura Pull : Gurpreet Singh Kangar
59. Bhucho Mandi : Ajaib Singh Bhatti
60. Bathinda Urban : Manpreet Singh Badal
61. Bathinda Rural (reserve) : Makhan Singh
62. Gidderbaha : Amrinder Singh (Raja Warring)
63. Dharamkot : Gurdip Singh Kaka Lohgarh
64. Abohar : Sunil Jakhar